Go Back   Log Homes on the Internet - Log Home Information since 1995 > Questions and Answers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM

vermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to all
Electrical Wiring Costs

Hey guys, got a question for you. Do any of you all recall how much it cost approximately to wire your homes? I got a figure the other day from someone - a general 'ballpark' figure and they were talking $20K for that and the plumbing - meaning another $20K - total = $40K.... Were they just kidding with me or you think they were serious? I am going to make some calls, etc. but I am getting ready to go out of town so I can't do it for another couple weeks and me being impatient....well....

Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Wood Chipper

adze is just really niceadze is just really niceadze is just really niceadze is just really niceadze is just really nice
That sounds ridiculously high to me....unless its including some high end lighting etc.
Say an electrician gets $45 an hour.....and his helper $20...thats $65 an hour.
Thats $520 a day......$2600 a week.
How many weeks is it going to take him?

Have you tried someplace like www.servicemagic.com, and let several bid on your job?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 AM

vermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to allvermonter16 is a name known to all
Azde - you have made me feel better already. I'm calling my cousin's ex husband. He grew up in the area where we are building the house and knows a bunch of folks up there - I just thought the numbers were crazy. It isn't even that expensive here in the DC area.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Maestro

Alan DuBoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Hey guys, got a question for you. Do any of you all recall how much it cost approximately to wire your homes? I got a figure the other day from someone - a general 'ballpark' figure and they were talking $20K for that and the plumbing - meaning another $20K - total = $40K.... Were they just kidding with me or you think they were serious? I am going to make some calls, etc. but I am getting ready to go out of town so I can't do it for another couple weeks and me being impatient....well....
Unfortunately you give very little information, the size of the house, how many outlets, how many breaker panels, if lights are included, how far the main needs to be run, etc...

If you want to compare apples vs apples, you need to know all of these details.

On top of that the price varies all over the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adze View Post
Say an electrician gets $45 an hour.....and his helper $20...thats $65 an hour.
Ok, let's say that...and while we're at it, where are we saying that at ? You won't find an electrician on the west coast, even in depressed areas at those prices. In fact, most areas around the U.S. will not provide adequate contractors at those prices, at least not ones that have insurance and worker's comp as required by law. I don't doubt you can find some guy that could do it for that price, I'm just pointing out that you can't stay in business with those kinda prices, and many have gone under as there are so many foreclosures these days that people can buy homes built already instead of building their own. That's the cold hard truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I just thought the numbers were crazy. It isn't even that expensive here in the DC area.
Do you think you can get an electrician in the DC area for $45/hr ??? If you can, more power to 'ya.

FWIW, adze's numbers look low to me. You can do it, or you can do it right. If you ask enough people, someone will eventually give you a price that sounds good. Will they have insurance in case they make a mistake ? Will they have worker's comp in case someone is hurt on your property, or will the worker file a lien on your home? Will they even show up to complete the work? Many contractors start jobs that they prolong forever or never complete.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Wood Chipper

adze is just really niceadze is just really niceadze is just really niceadze is just really niceadze is just really nice
Alan,
We are talking about rural working people (some up here anyway)....people up here can't afford west coast metro labor rates.
A Boston electrician is not going to get the same rate in the more rural areas of NE. I am sure in your more remote rural areas you will find lower rates.
There are Master Electricians who work for $45 an hour in upper NE.

She is going with a smaller footprint log home (remember her budget situation).
I would get a bid on the job.

I put three power poles in (I did put the last one in myself), ran an outdoor meter disconnect and an underground service (85') with a 200 amp service for under 5K, with a Master electrician.
Sometimes they will even let you run the wiring etc. to help save a few bucks as long as it is neat and to the code.
My electrician will let me buy my own fixtures etc., or reuse my mission lighting as long as the wiring is good (he will inspect).
We can still wire our own houses as long as it is inspected by a master electrician.

I had very good luck with service magic. He was quick local and did a very good job.

Last edited by adze; 02-08-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Caffeine Connoisseur

Susan has much to be proud ofSusan has much to be proud ofSusan has much to be proud ofSusan has much to be proud ofSusan has much to be proud ofSusan has much to be proud ofSusan has much to be proud ofSusan has much to be proud of
Vermonter16,

My husband did our electrical - the cost for materials was around 5k. I don't know how much an electrician in your area charges but I'm sure it's not cheap. Unless you are an electrician or are 195% confident that you can do the job correctly - you have to pay the piper on that labor though.

Our plumbing rough in was 6K (this included materials and labor) and we spent another ~1K on fixtures for three full bathrooms and the kitchen. We definately didn't go high-end on any of the fixtures - just basic stuff. We were lucky to find a retired master plumber who's wife wanted him out of the house a couple of days a week so he didn't charge us an arm and a leg to do the work.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM

MikeS is on a distinguished road
Your price is a bit high, but it might be close to right if no preparations are made in the logs for the wiring or if you have a large or complicated home. Rural northern MN costs run $75 to $80/hour for electricians/plumbers. On the electrical side, there is quite a bit of cost with the new arc fault breakers now required. I find new construction electrical will bid out around $15,000 for a typical new home, using a good and reputable tradesman. This includes the service from the meter to the house, general wiring, furnace wiring and controls, water heater, thermostat runs, phone lines, well, and sewer pump wiring.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 AM

I think the numbers are going to come in less. Apparently that was a high end number our GC through out there including fixtures, etc - just to give a number. No, our builder is going to drill through the logs for prep. I don't know how many outlets yet, won't know that for another week or so. I've been working my butt off at work, stressed about the house, and my husband just got medically retired early...sigh... Anything else to throw in the mix? Last night he bit into something and bam, his crown came out. If I can just make it through the next month I think I'll be ok. I have lots of pictures of this house but can't seem to post them in the photo gallery. Must be me because there are other photos in there. If anyone wants some photos you can PM me...not that anyone would care, lol...
Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Wood Chipper

Vermonter,
I did see an ad for a master electrician with years of experience (licensed in MA and NH) for $35 an hour.
I realize its not VT, but some of these tradesmen are challenge oriented (more on this later).

I spoke with my neighbor / friend who retired as a plumber in MA and he said he once did a job for a very wealthy person who had 50K with very high end fixtures.

I have spent the last week or so putting in my DWV (waste piping) system to the UPC / code in my small 900 sq. ft. log home ( 1,600+ with walk out ).
I spent just under $600.00 for piping and fittings...which I thought was a bit exspensive.
I am going to put in a manabloc pex water system (since its alot easier then the other stuff I am used too).
I love tile and do my own tile work, and I am going to do my own tile shower this time around (probably Mapeplastic pan system).
I check craigslist constantly for materials (like a kohler enameled cast iron apron sink for kitchen).
I build most of my cabinetry...so I am going to get two granite vanity tops with sinks from HD and build my own bases (unless I can pick up old furniture pieces for my wife to refinish from thrift shop).
I already have a granite vanity top for the upstairs bath for the largest bedroom.

Challenge.

Life is such a challenge at times.
It often brings either the best or the worst out in us.

If I got paid what I thought I was worth at times....I would be a very wealthy man.
However I took a profession that was based on challenge, and even the pay I received was received not upon what I always did but what I might have to do.
What I did not earn in income I adapted to the challenge in other ways or means.

Many builders, and designers etc. are not thinking clearly in the present challenge we are under.
Over 50% of the people in this country pay no taxes.
These are mostly working poor or lower middle class.
These people need places to live just like others of more higher means.
Instead of designing for this trend or reality, they are still 10 years ago.
This is where we are at in this present time.
Some of these tradesmen are starting to work with challenge oriented people, otherwise they have to move or travel long distances for jobs, and as fuel and otherl costs increase they have to eat this because of others who work these local areas.

Some are coming to realize this reality and are UP TO THE CHALLENGE.

Blessings and good luck.

Last edited by adze; 03-18-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM

cowdave44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cowdave44
35$ an hour?

I guess it all depends on the person. You could get it done very cheap, if you do it yourself or hire someone with no license or insurance.

What I have found is that it is not easy to be cheap when the regulations and codes are piling on all the time.

50$ an hour would really surprise me in this state. And as a builder, I can not hire an unlicensed contractor to do the work, but I would not if I could.

You can be your own general contractor though, if you have the time, and hire anyone you want! We have seen this many times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: