Go Back   Log Homes on the Internet - Log Home Information since 1995 > Questions and Answers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Dovetail Diva

ccarrie is on a distinguished road
red pine versus white pine for loft flooring

We are going to put up pine flooring in our 350 sq.ft loft area soon. We had planned to get white knotty pine planking (tongue and groove 1.5 inches thick) but saw a website that showed lovely pictures of finished red pine. It also mentioned that red pine performs better than white pine in an unheated winter environment (like our house). Red pine is harder to find, but oddly enough a little cheaper per square foot.

Are the claims true about better performance and is there anything else we should know before buying our lumber? Also in the unstained version, just how different do the two woods look? Is it worth the aggravation of tracking down a supplier for the red?

Old 11-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Postus Mostus

Tim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud of
ccarrie, Both woods are fine for loft flooring.....red pine does have a more pronounced grain and it is harder than white pine. Some red pine can be milled from very small trees and will bleed sap for quite awhile although kiln drying should eliminate most of it and fix the sap in place. It really depends on the "look" that you are after.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Richmond Lass

Stephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura about
Be aware that a loft acts an awful lot like a megaphone. My parents used wood and a thin carpet upstairs in their log home and you really could hear just about every foot fall.

We used heavy padding and carpet in our loft. It's not too bad and when you hear someone shuffling around in the kneewalls where there's only the 2" spruce, you do realize how noisy it could have been.

Maybe there is some sort of insulation you could use below the wood flooring to help dampen the noise?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Dovetail Diva

ccarrie is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tim and Stephanie.

Tim: I am only able to judge the look of red pine by the few pictures that I have seen on this one website. Aesthetically, which one do you think looks better? I am a rustic kind of person so a fair amount of knots are fine. Finding a mill in Ontario Central/ East that sells red pine lumber is proving to be tricky. Do you know of one? (The website that I visited only does thin flooring for installation over a sub floor and we need planking).

Stephanie: Never fear. It is only hubby and I that live in the house and we plan to use the loft as our bedroom until our knees give out. So noise should not be a problem. Good point though.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Postus Mostus

Tim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud ofTim Bullock has much to be proud of
ccarrie, We use jack pine for our roofs and floors....looks a lot like spruce but behaves much better........I haven't looked for red pine in a long time but am sure that if you keep looking........you will find it. BTW, Jack Pine is stocked locally in 12' lengths.......random lengths are a killer for waste as you can't make a joint midspan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: