Go Back   Log Homes on the Internet - Log Home Information since 1995 > Log Homes Buy/Sell/Rent
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 AM

Mick is on a distinguished road
Historic Log Cabin for Sale

In the process of tearing down an old farmhouse on our property, we discovered a log cabin hiding beneath the tarpaper and clapboards. We do not want to turn this historic building into firewood, but we do not want to invest the time and money necessary to restore it, so we would like to sell it to someone who can make better use of it.
The cabin is located about 6 miles south of Murphysboro in Southern Illinois. I recently contacted an older man (ca. 80) who grew up on the place. He said his father would be 110 this year, and the cabin was around well before that. He says the logs are “virgin” polar (or yellow poplar, which we call tulip trees around here). He seems to be very knowledgeable about wood types, so I would say the logs are poplar. The gables? are rough-sawn oak, and were probably part of the remodeling work.
The cabin is approximately 23' L x 17'W x 10'H. The logs are 5-6" thick, with faces that range from 12" to 18". I have stripped the siding(s) off about 2/3 or the cabin. The roof is going bad and there is one small area where the log/logs have suffered some damage. It appears there was some kind of chimney fire or something in the past, but little damage. Right now, it is still dry inside, but the roof is deteriorating quickly. A basement was dug under the extended and remodeled house and it is beginning to cave in, so we need to do something soon.
We are asking $2000 dollars. There is easy access to the site and very little cleanup will be needed.
Please let me know if you are interested, and I will send some pictures.
Mick

Last edited by Mick : 09-09-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 AM

lshaughnessy is on a distinguished road
Question log cabin for sale

Is this still for sale?
leila
Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 PM

Mick is on a distinguished road
Log cabin for sale

Sorry it took so long to reply. Yes, it is still for sale. Price reduced to $1000. Let me know if there is anything you would like to know about the cabin.

mick
myouther@siu.eud
Old 02-08-2007, 09:53 AM

gaylebradley is on a distinguished road
We're interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
In the process of tearing down an old farmhouse on our property, we discovered a log cabin hiding beneath the tarpaper and clapboards. We do not want to turn this historic building into firewood, but we do not want to invest the time and money necessary to restore it, so we would like to sell it to someone who can make better use of it.
The cabin is located about 6 miles south of Murphysboro in Southern Illinois. I recently contacted an older man (ca. 80) who grew up on the place. He said his father would be 110 this year, and the cabin was around well before that. He says the logs are “virgin” polar (or yellow poplar, which we call tulip trees around here). He seems to be very knowledgeable about wood types, so I would say the logs are poplar. The gables? are rough-sawn oak, and were probably part of the remodeling work.
The cabin is approximately 23' L x 17'W x 10'H. The logs are 5-6" thick, with faces that range from 12" to 18". I have stripped the siding(s) off about 2/3 or the cabin. The roof is going bad and there is one small area where the log/logs have suffered some damage. It appears there was some kind of chimney fire or something in the past, but little damage. Right now, it is still dry inside, but the roof is deteriorating quickly. A basement was dug under the extended and remodeled house and it is beginning to cave in, so we need to do something soon.
We are asking $2000 dollars. There is easy access to the site and very little cleanup will be needed.
Please let me know if you are interested, and I will send some pictures.
Mick
Hi. My husband and I live in southern Illinois and would like to see your log home for sale. Could you post your phone number for us so we could give you a call to set up a time, please? Thanks. Gayle Bradley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: