Go Back   Log Homes on the Internet - Log Home Information since 1995 > Questions and Answers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Grand Poobah (webmaster)

Greg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this websiteGreg Steckler All knowing, all powerful, at least on this website
Send a message via MSN to Greg Steckler
Question Earthquake Proof?

I wonder.... Can anyone make a log home, if not earthquake proof, at least REALLY earthquake resistant? Say to an 8.5 or 9.0? Seems like that would be an incredible marketing idea to the Chinese and really....all of Asia or the Ring of Fire. Thoughts?

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms Moreplans.com

"People underestimate Bob" ~ Raylan Givens

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
"Statisticly speaking...."

Alberta Loggie is a jewel in the roughAlberta Loggie is a jewel in the roughAlberta Loggie is a jewel in the rough
Don't remember where I'd seen it, but I have read reports of log homes withstanding hurricanes (sometimes minus the roof) as well as earthquakes. I would think that a properly constructed, through-bolted log home should be able to withstand much larger forces than any stickbuilt and come through a bit "rattled" but otherwise together.

Here's a link to an article on the storm resistance of log homes. Most of it refers to hurricanes, but there is one mention of an earthquake as well.

Log Home Survival

Last edited by Alberta Loggie : 02-04-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
"We're not in Kansas anymore"

teedlebeans has much to be proud ofteedlebeans has much to be proud ofteedlebeans has much to be proud ofteedlebeans has much to be proud ofteedlebeans has much to be proud ofteedlebeans has much to be proud ofteedlebeans has much to be proud ofteedlebeans has much to be proud of
Somewhere I saw some work at (I think) Texas tech, wherein a student evaluated the shear strength of log walls for his Masters thesis in civil engineering. He looked at lag bolt construction walls, with countersunk bores and washers that held the lag bolts. I believe he found that the log walls were pretty strong, though I don't remember the particulars. I even thing that someone on LHOTI pointed it out -- maybe Dr.

The point of the work was to establish how much better (or not) log walls were when it comes to shear failure, which is the major failure mode in earthquakes. Again, I think he found that log walls were pretty good, though not the equivalent of a sold slab of wood.

Kim Elmore

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: