Schroeder Log Homes

Photo
- - - - -

Was I smoking crack when I though this would be a good idea?!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny G.

Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

I must have been smoking crack when I thought that building a log home would be fun. Granted, I still think I'll love living in my log home, if and when the day EVER comes that we get to move in.

It's been a while since I last posted at LHOTI. Some of you might remember I was the one who started the "house sitting" thread that turned into a mud slinging feast aginst The Log Connection log homes.

Anyway... I could probably make this into a 25 page long post about what a disaster the construction of our log home has been. It's just too bad too as my wife and I spent years researching before we decided to build and though we'd be able to pull this off with out any trouble. Well.... 13 months after they started building our house, we're still waiting to move in.

Our biggest problem was hiring a contracted that had his head... you know where. We checked him out before we hired him, went and saw homes he had built and called references. Apparently they were all just relatives of his. It didn't take too long for us to figure out our project was going to be WAY overbudget. Geeee.. might have helped if when the contractor bid the job had he remebrered that logs were not the only wood he needed and it might be a good idea to budget in for lumber.... he didn't. Geee.. for starters that's only about $50,000 off budget. (FYI... we did fire him, just not soon enough)

That was just one of the issues. Another was the painter/stainer he hired must have never seen a log home before in his life. His idea of prepping the home before stain was to power wash it and then stain away. We ended up with water stains running down all of our logs on the interior and exterior of the home. We insisted that they remove these before staining. Do you think they did? NO!! We ended up having to corn blast the entire interior of our just finished construction home. The exterior still needs to be done but that will have to come down the road.

HVAC crew quit in the middle of the project. Had to hire another crew to take over. That cost an additional $5000.

Plumber quit in the middle of the job, that's costing us an additional $3000

Tile guy has been laying tile for 8 weeks now.

And today the electricians are installing recessed can lighting in my kitchen and say they didn't leave enough room next to my upstairs bathroom drain and they can't fit the lights in. Oh, and sorry about the hole in your beautiful T&G ceiling!

UUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!

If I had any idea there were so many flaky sub-cotractors in this area, I think I'd have just stayed in my conventional home build in 1926. (Oh, did I mention we sold that and have been living with my mother-in-law for 11 months now?)

OK, I feel about 1% better now.

Kenny

#2 Susan

Susan

Caffeine Connoisseur

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

Kenny G.- sorry for your troubles.
~Susan

#3 Sharon A

Sharon A

Cornerstone Donor

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:42 AM

Kenny, I'll go in on one with you..... See my subcontractors vent below in this forum.

Seriously, though... I don't know what you do to identify a good contractor. At our current vacation place, we have been desperately trying to find a mason for five months; we've scheduled estimates with 9; 1 showed up and gave us an estimate, but then never returned our calls to schedule the job itself. Finally, we found some guys who don't sound like they're locals (ie, they sound alert and intelligent and as if they actually do have some sense of pride in their work). I don't know how the subs will be able to screw up our log home once we start building, as their job will be quite simple (predrilled electric, very few non-log walls, easy plumbing), but I know they'll find a way.

Best of luck with your home! It will be worth it, really. You did all the right things, now it's just the last hump that you have to get over.

--Sharon

#4 Kenny G.

Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could say that things are looking up but it seems like it's a never ending pile of crap I've fallen into.

We are getting really close to finishing up and we're hoping we'd be done no later than 10/15. Well, we have now found out that the contractor we fired 4 months ago has a lein filed on our house and because of that, or bank has shut down funding of the loan till we resolve that matter.

So now we're in a catch-22 situation where I don't have the money to finish and the bank won't give us the money to finish. I really haven't a clue how this is all going to play out, but I'll tell you we've about had enough.

We do however have a lawyer working on things for us and I hope he comes through with something.

Oh, by the way, my tile guy is still not done. This is his 1oth week working there.

Kenny

#5 Sharon A

Sharon A

Cornerstone Donor

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:39 AM

with various contractor-hating slogans on them. (My apologies to the reliable, skilled contractors and sub-contractors out there). Do you have any idea why so many of your .... uh..... "skilled professionals" quit? I don't mean to imply that you did a thing wrong; I'm just wondering what was going on -- is there a building boom in your area such that they found easier work elsewhere, could they not handle doing things the way your home required (many of the subs I've seen will not do something if it's different from the way they learned -- even if their contract says to install a product according to manufacturer's written and diagrammed specifications), was there a summer-long sale on cheap beer, etc.? (One of our contractors would call saying he was at our house working away, however I would be out walking the dog at the lake five miles from our house and could see him sitting on the deck of his boat drinking crappy cheap beer]).

Good luck with the bank. I hope your lawyer is as evil to others as they have been to you.

Let us know when you're in what will be a beautiful home -- I'll send you a peace plant or something soothing. :-)

#6 Kenny G.

Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

I wish I knew what the issue with all of them is. I know by the sounds of it you'd have to think that we must be complete As***les or that we don't pay them. The truth is if we are anything, we're way too nice to them. We have always made sure the subs we have had are well taken care of. All this summer we use to drive out to the house everyday just to make sure we provided ice and bottled water for those that were there working in the heat. I sometimes think that is our downfault... we're just too nice and they take full advantage of it.

I think we will be able to come up with the money to finish the house on our own, but if the bank won't fund any more money, I may end up having to pay for two loans in the end.

My lawyer thinks the lien filed by the contractor is improper and he'll be sending a threatening notice out tomorrow that it needs to be removed right away. We'll see what happens.

Kenny

#7 Littlefield

Littlefield

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:26 AM

Any luck with getting finished up, or is your tile guy going to move in with you? Hope things are going better.
Rich Littlefield
212 Marketing, Marketing for Log Home Contractors
Georgia
706-273-9181
Marketing for Log Home Contractors

#8 Kenny G.

Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

Hello everyone.

Sorry I have not replied sooner, but the truth is once we moved in, the last thing I even wanted to think about was log homes.

We finally got moved in on the 15th on November, 2007. The home is still not 100% done, but enough to live in. I still have a ton of chinking to do and all my interior doors still need to be stained and the extrior doors (metal) need painted. Other than that, it's just minor stuff.

We are still in a legal battle with a few of the sub contractors and the general contractor, but that is almost dealt with.

I have posted a few pictures at the following link where you can see the home. They are really not the best pictures, but I think they will give you an idea what the home looks like. Feel free to comment. I'll have to get some better ones posted later on.

I'll admit, for several months, it felt like move-in day would never come.

Kenny

#9 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

Looks pretty nice to me, Kenny G. Solid, cozy and warm. Bet you'll be happy there....until you go to build your next one!

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#10 Susan

Susan

Caffeine Connoisseur

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Kenny,
I know it was an ordeal for you, but you have a beautiful home!
~Susan

#11 Kenny G.

Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Thanks. Beyond all the problems, we really like the home.

I really can't imagine ever having to go through it again though. We've all heard the stories about bad contractors, but I was just amazed to find out how true those stories were. Not just my general contractor, but even several of the subs we hired after the fact. Even though we'd check them out before hand, it seemed like they always managed to have an excuse why they were delayed. I almost feel like I could write a book on what to expect from your contractors. I truly hope it was just a fluke and most people don't have to go through what we did (well, sort of still are).

I really want to scream to the world my general contractors name, but till we have finished with our our legal battles I am hesitant to. Does anyone know the legalities of what I can or can't do to try and forwarn others? I'd seriously be willing to spend some money to keep him out of a job.

Thanks,
Kenny

#12 CharJohn

CharJohn

Outlaw...Casual

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:51 AM

Beautiful home, Kenny!! Hopefully all the sub-horrors will fade away as you enjoy life in such wonderful surroundings.

And, Susan??? Where's some recent photos???

Char (unless it's John)

. . . still dreamin' . . . :rolleyes:

#13 Rick in WA

Rick in WA

"Just glad to be here!"

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Kenny I just followed the link to your photos and they are very nice.

Your page mentioned this was a Precision Craft home. Their website implies they are very involved in selecting the recommended GC for building your home. Where were they in this process?????

Rick

#14 Ann

Ann

Wildhorse Annie

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Beautiful ..and not exactly a simple, straight forward roof line either.

We have learned that the fewer people you have involved the smoother the build goes.

I do realize that not everyone is capable of doing what we do . .build it ourselves. Or to be able to be the GC and be there to direct, supervise and iron out the daily stuff that comes up.

Our 3rd was started in July of 2006. .we are in . .it is not as finished as yours is. It is not a complex as yours either.

Enjoy . . . and the stress incurred will pass. It will all be worth it. The next one will be easier . . . .and by the 3rd you will be old hands at it.

#15 Kenny G.

Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

Rick, I just logged back in here after a few months and saw your question about PC helping select a contractor.

The way they go about this is they will provide you with 3 contractors in your area. They have the contractors fill out a questionnaire and provide references. You can then use all this info to try and select one you might like. You can also get bids from the contractor. If you are not happy with any of them, they will give you 3 more to choose from. They claim they will do this till they find a contractor you are happy with.

In our case, we found one in the first group we felt could do the job right and at a price we could afford. The sad thing is he turned out to be a total flake and we're still to this day (a year after firing him) in a legal battle with him over our house.

If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

Kenny

#16 log home guy

log home guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:44 AM

All I can say is this...
I understand... . The Log Connection man on site returned home to Ca before He was even close to finishing his contractual duties... That was just the start to a 4 yr. struggle ... TLC ignored me after I asked for their assistance seeing that their guy had left me hanging...Their response was to ignore me like I hadn't even existed in the first place. In essence, I feel for ya man. I had to sell the house after I was done...The best furnace in the world coudn't keep up with all the air and water leaks from curled logs.

#17 marco

marco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

I was able to avoid all these problems by doing all the work myself. Nobody is fussier than me , so if something didn't go right or turn out right , I was able to blame myself and then went on to correct my mistake. Granted I have been working on this for 10 yrs now, from prebuilding the structure to sitework, foundation , roofing and eventually electrical, plumbing etc. My move in date is about 5 yrs from now when i retire , so if there was a problem , I took care of it. I have the luxury of time , and I'll sell my current home and payoff everything . The whole project has been rewarding and fun to do , I learned alot from this forum and doing my research ,so I learned from my mistakes and those of others. Thanks to all of you on this forum for your help. Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users