• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lisa

lisa

First Patron

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:25 AM

I just read a Cabin Life Article about a home built with concrete logs. It looked real however, every time I walk into my home the scent of White Pine, Douglas Fir, Hickory and Aspen is wonderful, I cannot imagine the scent of concrete. Have you ever experienced Concrete logs?

In Arkansas we have several examples of natural reproductions in concrete from a well known artist http://en.m.wikipedi...nicio_Rodriguez
- I've seen his work at this location and in North Little a Rock at a site where parts of gone with the wind movie were filmed. http://couchwood.org.../rodriguez-art/
It does visually look like wood but that is the only one of the 5 senses captured in his work.

I'm thankful everyday for log construction and have a deep respect for all the craftsmen/ women and log lovers who helped my efforts along this journey. There have been so many from this site who helped make my dream a reality. To those still dreaming- don't stop! I'm a hospital nurse and single parent. Not wealthy in finances but certainly in family and friends. The journey has been difficult at times but the rewards of owning and living in a log home are worth the sacrifices.

Tim Bullock designed my home and although he did not build it I consider it an honor to live inside such a wonderful design. It's a peaceful place with lots of wide overhangs to protect my hand hewn square logs and a lot of glass to see nature all around.
After 12 years I just now need to restain the garage exterior walls and I found Sansin's Sjoerd Bos as helpful as ever. I sent him a picture and he immediately sent a free sample of what he recommended. The house stain still looks fine. A great product that was easy to apply.

So back to my original thought - concrete logs ? What do you think?
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

#2 Dook

Dook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

One of my neighbors has a concrete/foam log home made by a company in Missoula. He likes it. I already live in a fake log home (log siding and accents). Now I want a real one. Concrete would not do for me.

#3 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:35 PM

Lisa,

Thanks, I love that design myself!!!

Enjoy for years to come,

Kindest,

Tim

#4 lisa

lisa

First Patron

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

Tim I found a dream project. Have you seen this?
http://www.pinterest...FSzE3sidrR7nzCU
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

#5 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

Lisa,

That is not a Treehouse but merely a small cabin among the trees..."Real" Treehouses use real trees just like "Real" logs make "Real" log homes.
Concrete Logs are the vinyl siding people wanting to upgrade...to a no maintenance life utilizing a non renewable resource...they use fake logs like their fake lives...who in their right mind would think that concrete is a "LOG"?????
BUT who am I to judge?

#6 Alberta Loggie

Alberta Loggie

"Statisticly speaking...."

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

I fully understand, Tim, but I do wish you were just a bit more forthcoming with your feelings.  They are so hard to determine when you are so restrained.  :D

• Greg Steckler likes this
Rae Runge

#7 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

Rae, I am not restrained any longer......with age goes rage at the "bling" that has replaced "real".....I will quote from Mark Twain:

“To us, our house was not unsentient matter -- it had a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals and solicitudes and deep sympathies; it was of us, and we were in its confidence, and lived in its grace and in the peace of its benediction.”

Do you get the same feeling from concrete or vinyl????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users