Schroeder Log Homes

Photo
- - - - -

10 yr old logs and no heat in winter weather? yes/no?

logs cold temperature

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 biglake

biglake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hello,

Long time.  I wonder if the experts can help explain what happens to logs if the log home is shut up for the winter for the first time. White pine.  8"D logs.  Michigan.  Very cold.  Too expensive to heat it at 50 degrees without anyone being there.  So how to winterize and is it ok??    Many thanks for any input.

#2 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

I have had a block of lodgepole pine explode upon being hit with a single blow of an axe at 14 below zero (the moisture inside the log froze and expanded).  But I doubt you would be bashing the wall in the middle of winter.  Trees make it through just fine, so as long as it was as dry as possible inside (water drained from any plumbing, etc.)  I should think it would be fine....imagine the ice palace from Dr. Zhivago. 

Attached Thumbnails

• ice-room.jpg

• biglake likes this

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#3 biglake

biglake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:31 PM

Greg, thank you for the reply.  it is good to know that things will be fine with the logs unheated..  although that part about blowing up did give me pause..  I am not sure what the moisture content is in these guys now.  At purchase they were supposed to be kiln dried and less that 18% if I recall.  Supposedly, but they did some serious checking which has also been addressed.  Propane up here in Michigan was quite a gouge last year and i just can't afford to let it sit again.  i guess i will have to do the Dr. Zchivago thing--  great movie!

#4 Alberta Loggie

Alberta Loggie

"Statisticly speaking...."

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:00 AM

If they were 10 years old, I expect they'll be about as dry as they're going to be.

• Greg Steckler likes this
Rae Runge

#5 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:52 AM

Dr. Zhivago, great movie.

• Greg Steckler likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users