• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

I honestly thought it would be dead by now...although no posts for 4 months, it might as well be... :(

I don't have much to add, trying to get some ambition to start working on my project again...honestly surprised my project is not officially dead yet, life has taken it's toll on me...

I'll come back in a few months and see if anyone replied to this...LOL

I've been stuck here for a couple years trying to get life sorted out...finally working and catching up on my bills...

log-home-to-top-plates.jpg

#2 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

We're all looking a little gray, Alan.  Your project, my hair (what I have left that is). 

Yes, not much activity on Lhoti.   Thank God for Schroeder's.  We wouldn't be here but for them.  having said that....I'm pretty busy drawing houses....some log...some stick.  Thought I was retired....not so.

All the best.

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#3 Glenn Molenaar

Glenn Molenaar

"Ye Ol' Porch Monkey"

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

Well slow is better than nothing. Alan I'm over the hill wish I could do another log home. My body is tired and I had a mowing accident damaged my left eye so nothing is in alignment, looks straight but will be up hill even using a level. Wish you would get you log home finished I enjoy looking at pictures of log homes. 

Glenn

#4 Alberta Loggie

Alberta Loggie

"Statisticly speaking...."

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

Glad to see that the LHOTI has undergone a resurrection, Greg.  I dropped by my link a while ago and there was nothing!  :huh: 

I realize that the global economic downturn has put a damper on many a would-be loggie's dreams, but like log homes, they'll withstand the times and still be there on the other side.  So glad I built my home when I did.  Not sure I have the energy any more to tackle another project like this.  Not much going on up here in the north, except for wickedly hot weather this summer, oh, and the oil price crash, which has hurt a lot of folks up here.  Due to the heat and drought in our area, I've been spending time taking down and bucking up trees around the house that haven't made it.

Did do a full power wash to remove the old finish and re-finished our home three years ago (about 16 years from first applied).  Used Sikkens Cetol products again as they have served very well over the years.  Time to stain the deck again, this time with something a bit more grey and less blue!  That had made me happey when it had finally faded.

Rae Runge

#5 Patrick Jenkins

Patrick Jenkins

Provocateur Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:33 PM

Well Hello been awhile since I popped in. Doing some remodeling around my house. We have been in it now for over 12 years now. Been doing tons of art projects. But I need to figure out how to shrink the pictures down.

Hey Greg can you tell me? I have a Macbook. 

#6 Patrick Jenkins

Patrick Jenkins

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hey how come there is a Warning Points under the number of posts for me?  Are you profiling me :0

#7 Patrick Jenkins

Patrick Jenkins

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Alan,

I would have thought after all these years your " Dream House" would have been done by now. I guess things get done differently by Cali Guys. A goal is a dream with a path!

• Glenn Molenaar likes this

#8 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

Alan, It just needs your attention!......The logs are pleading with you to add more companions!

We are all getting older...some wiser, some not (wink).

I have a new building site which is like working in a park with walnut trees,sumacs,ash and a huge maple. We even have some grass.

It is a great place to work and we are working on a dovetail log home with giant pine logs and selling lumber like crazy........life is good.

It is just myself and one other craftsman and I like it that way....although the body does protest from time to time.

I have a few more homes left in me including building my own.

Nice to hear from everyone........maybe some others will pop in?

Cheers,

Tim

#9 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Alan,

I would have thought after all these years your " Dream House" would have been done by now. I guess things get done differently by Cali Guys. A goal is a dream with a path!

Well, sometimes dreams are crushed, but it's ok...I will have what I've done and even if my short term dream was crushed with this current dovetail, my equity is still strong and I feel in the end I will get a house on my lake property. Sometimes just living in a decent home with a wife and family is enough to make one content. I'm glad to be working. My dream will come in time, patience is my own virtue. ;)

BTW, I would have thought you would have had a new home by now, aren't you retired yet? What gives?

#10 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

Alan, It just needs your attention!......The logs are pleading with you to add more companions!

We are all getting older...some wiser, some not (wink).

I have a new building site which is like working in a park with walnut trees,sumacs,ash and a huge maple. We even have some grass.

It is a great place to work and we are working on a dovetail log home with giant pine logs and selling lumber like crazy........life is good.

It is just myself and one other craftsman and I like it that way....although the body does protest from time to time.

I have a few more homes left in me including building my own.

Nice to hear from everyone........maybe some others will pop in?

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

I think that time is coming where I will start devoting more time to my project, I might even have enough pocket change to get some rafters! ;)

I really kicked the hornet's nest over, got a few people to post some messages...LOL

#11 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:51 AM

Well slow is better than nothing. Alan I'm over the hill wish I could do another log home. My body is tired and I had a mowing accident damaged my left eye so nothing is in alignment, looks straight but will be up hill even using a level. Wish you would get you log home finished I enjoy looking at pictures of log homes. 

Glenn

Glenn,

Sometimes life has it's detours...it's been tough for me to stay working over the past 5 years with all the H1-Bs coming in taking my work away...but I've been hanging in there, and still have a house I live in and hope to get this back on track.

I need about 19 rafters, 21 foot long 6x10s. Since I'm working again I think I might have some pocket change to get those...but first I need to make sure things are square, spray borates again, and possibly clean the logs.

One thing is for sure, I have a wonderful wife and 2 wonderful kids, and to me that's worth the world. :)

#12 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:53 AM

Hey how come there is a Warning Points under the number of posts for me?  Are you profiling me :0

Maybe you've been warned? Didn't you bubba up to Terry Tate? You better be nice to him or you'll end up with warning points...LOL

#13 Patrick Jenkins

Patrick Jenkins

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

Alan,

I have been in my house for over 12 years now. We have been customizing it since we moved in. I retired 2 years ago and love it.

#14 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

We all have "Warning Points".  Think of them like....   Terry Tate visits.

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#15 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:47 AM

Hi.

#16 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

Alan,
I have been in my house for over 12 years now. We have been customizing it since we moved in. I retired 2 years ago and love it.

Oh, previously you said you were going to design another log home when you retired. I guess your plans changed. That's the thing about WA folks, they can change their plans but nobody else can. Good thing you retired, I hear Boeing is not going gang busters these days, according to a good friend that works for them in St. Louis.

Glad your house is working out for you, mine is working out for me also. Worth a small chunk of change, like it's doubled in value in the past 5-10 years. That seems to have worked out in my favor. ;)

Hi.

Hi adze, hope your doing ok.

• adze likes this

#17 LogSmithy

LogSmithy

A Tree Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:52 PM

Yes - it is good to see LHOTI still here! Hard to imagine how log crafting has all but disappeared! I'm not wanting to quit all together and would like to teach again. There are interested people out there but with interest rates still being controlled at low rates by the government - it's just easier to have a conventional house done. That's been my experience over the last 30 years - as the interest rates (economy) rise, enrollment also rises and new home starts slow and, as interest rates decline, new home starts increase and enrollment declines. Usually not for more than a year to two years - but what began in 2008 has not been allowed to rebound by the fed. Anyone else agree with this assessment? I believe the huge growth of log building in the 70's was directly due to the 16 to 18 % interest rates we were seeing back then - for houses!!!

Good to be back and hope this can all be turned around!     

• adze likes this
William M. Lasko
Lasko School of Log Building, Inc.
Hoosier Heavy Log & Timber Works, Inc.
8125 Whiteland Road
Martinsville, Indinana 46151
1 800 292-8043
LogSmithy@aol.com
LaskoSchoolofLogBuilding.com
HoosierHeavyLogandTimberWorks.com

#18 Susan

Susan

Caffeine Connoisseur

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

Still here. And still have not finished our home either, Alan ;)

Ric retired this summer so I have my fingers crossed that the house gets finished before I am ready for the old folks home. However,  I have not even been to 'visit' the home in several months. It is just too depressing to see it so close and yet still so far from being ready to be lived in. I haven't visited LHOTI in several months for the same reason - it's depressing to see it sitting here just going to waste. So much knowledge here but very few people wanting to take advantage of if since the R/E bust.

Nice to see some LHOTI old-timers posting here!

• Glenn Molenaar likes this
~Susan

#19 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

Old Log Dogs don't get depressed about no work...they go to Burning Man and get new ideas!  (How about a log art car that looks like St. Basil's Cathedral in Red Square?  w/ spinning onion dome turrets?)  heh heh

• Susan likes this

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#20 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Still here. And still have not finished our home either, Alan ;)

Ric retired this summer so I have my fingers crossed that the house gets finished before I am ready for the old folks home. However,  I have not even been to 'visit' the home in several months. It is just too depressing to see it so close and yet still so far from being ready to be lived in. I haven't visited LHOTI in several months for the same reason - it's depressing to see it sitting here just going to waste. So much knowledge here but very few people wanting to take advantage of if since the R/E bust.

Nice to see some LHOTI old-timers posting here!

We have not finished ours either.  We built a little barn addition on the little log house last year, slipformed the foundation walls, and have finally got that buttoned up.

• Susan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users