43 replies to this topic

#21 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

Hi adze, hope your doing ok.

Yes, we are doing ok.  Rough year or so, with losing people.

• Alan DuBoff likes this

#22 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

Well now I'm feeling a little bit better, if I'm in company with adze and Susan, it can't be all that bad...but truth be that you guys are ahead of me no matter how I slice and dice it...

Susan, your home is dried in, take a hot plate and the grand kiddies and you're set for the weekend! :)

I know that's easy to say, and I'm pretty sure if I had my house in the same stage as yours it would be tough for me to go to the lake on the weekends as it's a 3 hour drive. Let's hope that Rick will spend some time pondering how to get it in a "liveable" condition so that you guys could spend more time there. Think about those special weekends picking guitars out on the porch...life don't get much better than that! ;)

#23 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

Yes, we are doing ok.  Rough year or so, with losing people.

Sorry to hear, I understand how that can take a toll on one...my wife's family is having a rough year in Japan...seems like half the family is in the hospital with serious illnesses.

A good friend of mine that I knew for many years just passed about a month ago...almost the same age as me, he had stage 4 lung cancer. He had 10 acres that he wasn't able to build on, up by Lake Almanor in Northern CA.

I've had my share of troubles with employment over the past 10 years, but still fortunate to have my wife and family, even if I don't have my log home at the lake yet, that's ok. Housing is absurd in some areas, where I live for certain...the house next door to me was going to be condemned when the owner died last year, then someone bought it out of probate for over $1M, they've been working on it for about 6 months and remodeled pretty much the entire home but didn't change the layout, oddly...so it's not a large home, about 1850 sq. ft. They say they've put $700k into the home, but I think it's more like $400k-$500k. The home is on the market for $1.9M. This is a 3 bedroom home with 2 1/2 baths. I just hope the housing prices hold up until I can retire...

On another note, my property is in Lake County, which pretty much encompasses Clear Lake in Northern CA. I saw recently that Lake County is joining the effot to split from California and form the State of Jefferson, which would include 8 counties in Northern CA and Southern Oregon. Who knows if it will happen or not, but there's a chance I might not be retiring in California! LOL

Hoist a cold one for our health! Without we will all be crap!

#24 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

Now that's funny, Alan.  Wife and I are heading for Coos, Curry counties on the Southern Oregon coast to look for property in a couple weeks.  We might all be Jeffersonians one day.

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#25 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

Ha  ...Yeah.  I have been following that a bit, on the CA split.  Maine has said the same thing at times.

A lot of people are just fed up, disgusted.

Both my sons are now in TX and LA.  Oldest is out of the Army and doing his computer engineering stuff, and the youngest is doing his electrical engineering stuff.

Sorry to hear of your family health problems.

I lost my Father, and Brother in Law last year (we were the same age and went to school together), and two close friends.  Al was a holocaust survivor, was in concentration camp as a young boy,  made it to the US, and eventually joined the Army (for 20 years or so).  He was a Vietnam Vet, and was shot in the head and survived.  

I really love my little log house.  It was only about 750 sq. ft., but had everything we really needed, (two bedrooms and two full baths).  Porches make all the difference.  We live on our porch a lot of the time.  We have been living in it for about 3 years or so (actually we camped in the basement before then, after moving in from the tent outside all summer).   But getting older, I decided if I did not attempt the timbered barn addition, I might never get there.  So we built the little barn addition with a loft.  This will be my wifes kitchen and living room, another bathroom.  There is a small one car garage, with older style cedar carriage door.  I just used ship lap in the verticle for siding. I spent about two months on the roof doing a 9" foam built up insulated roof, using pieces of reclaimed and seconds foam (the poor mans system).  My wife and I pre finished and assembled the timber  pieces on the  deck, then took them apart and hoisted the pieces with a 18'  log pole screwed to deck with a door hinge, and a harbor freight boat trailer winch.  We then assembled them on the top plates in order.  and winched them with the same rig into position.  Then it was  2 x 6 T & G decking (we sanded and prefinished this too), followed by 44 sheets of OSB on top, roof paper, foam, another 44 sheets of OSB as a nail base, screwed with panel screws. To get the OSB up, I built a ramp / rack that would hold a few sheets at a time.  I drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of the sheets, and put a strong nylon cord through the hole.  My wife would push a little, and I would drag it onto the roof from my position on the toe boards (12 /12 pitch). It was a lot of hard work for a retired couple.  It took a long time on the roof.

Total is going to be about 1750 sq. ft. (small house by todays standard), but everyone who sees it think its much much larger then it actually is.  The log cabin will become the Master, with another Master and full bath upstairs.  

• Glenn Molenaar likes this

#26 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

Now that's funny, Alan.  Wife and I are heading for Coos, Curry counties on the Southern Oregon coast to look for property in a couple weeks.  We might all be Jeffersonians one day.

Greg.

I wonder what the chances of it happening really are? This has been tried before, not here, but in other areas and they also wanted the state to be called Jefferson...I don't know if that name is jinxed or not, but it's never happened to date.

I think given a little wise thinking, it wouldn't be hard to create a better state than either CA or OR, in the sense that it wouldn't need to start with much of the baggage that either state has.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;)

#27 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

Ha  ...Yeah.  I have been following that a bit, on the CA split.  Maine has said the same thing at times.
A lot of people are just fed up, disgusted.

Yeah, as I mentioned to Greg, time will tell if it happens or not.

Oldest is out of the Army and doing his computer engineering stuff, and the youngest is doing his electrical engineering stuff.

I worry about computer engineering, since that's what I do...it's turning into a commodity, and much of it is being shipped offshore,
or worse giving H1-Bs for them to come here. The amount of H1-Bs they give away is astounding. Not sure if you saw or not recently,
but Zuckerberg was lobbying for 3x the H1-Bs and Trump told him exactly what I felt, that we have people here that we can give theose
jobs to, and shouldn't give them away to foreigners. There is no skill shortage, it's made up by companies like FB, Intel, Oracle
and the likes...they use it as a cost cutting solution, and hire H1-Bs for jobs that do not require the skills, then claim the positions
can't be filled at the end of the year. In the meantime they keep hiring the less skilled people from overseas.

Let these companies go offshore if they really want to hire people from those countries, let them go there and do business in that country.

I really love my little log house.  It was only about 750 sq. ft., but had everything we really needed, (two bedrooms and two full baths).

At the end of the day that is what really matters, having a place to spend with your spouse, not being greedy, and just living content.

#28 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:28 AM

Alan,

Yeah I read the article in Forbes or one of those, on the H1B 's.  Pay them less and import them in.  

Not only are they exporting jobs, but some of the jobs they are keeping they are importing cheaper labor (bait and switch).  

#29 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hello all!!!!!! Life is full of surprises.........Susan, sorry to hear about your house......I thought you would be a canning, chicken slaughtering fool by now......hope this changes for you soon. Bill, you are in denial and anyone else that thinks it is coming back.......the middle class (log home customer base) has been hurt badly and most that I know are afraid to do anything as they may not have a job next week. Everyone here has friends that have suffered and continue to suffer.....and it will get worse.....unless you think slinging burgers part time at Donalds or working part time at Walmart is a life???? Or how about two low paying degrading jobs? Alan, be cautious my friend. US of A makes very little anymore.......it is just a resource base for countries that do manufacture.........the coal industry here is as dead as 4 o'clock......India and China do not want your dirty coal anymore. The new TPP ageement will just about be it for America.......at least the vast majority.......The criminals who wrote the agreement will be just fine..thank you very much.

This is not meant to be depressing......it is merely a wake up call...we have to shift our thinking to the new reality......with every piece of bling bought from Walmart.......one of your neighbors is paying the price for your low price with a job loss.

Peace,

Tim 

• Jim Morvay likes this

#30 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

Well, I live in the Goldilocks zone, I guess.....

Bend, Oregon median prices

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#31 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:38 AM

Well, I live in the Goldilocks zone, I guess.....

Bend, Oregon median prices

I guess I live in the Pappa Bear Zone! LOL

http://www.trulia.co...ino-California/

The house next door to me is for sale...1850 sq.ft., $1.9M will get this lovely cottage...hehehe

#32 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

I guess I live in the Pappa Bear Zone! LOL

http://www.trulia.co...ino-California/

The house next door to me is for sale...1850 sq.ft., $1.9M will get this lovely cottage...hehehe

Ok, I lied...

It's only 1812 sq.ft., and it's not $1.9M, you can pick it up for $1.88M. It's only $1,042 per sq.ft., not too bad! :D

http://www.trulia.co...n-Jose-CA-95129

#33 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

If you put 20% down ($377,778), you're only left with $1,511,110, and at 3.62% interest on a 30 year fixed, you'll ONLY be paying $8,937/mo.

But you will also pay $1600/mo for property tax.

Oh, and you'll live next door to some @$$#O!E named Alan...LOL

#34 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=SNfQda8ceGs

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#35 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:46 AM

Greg,

So whatever happened to the Shire? Are you still living there?

That was a great idea, too bad it was so out of the way out in Bend.

Great concept, but bad timing with the housing crisis...still, a very cool idea...you get some points for that!

Alan

#36 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

"The Hope still Lives, and the Dream shall Never Die!"    And so it goes.....and went.  Lost our shorts on that one.  But hands down, one of our best designs "The Swordsman" was created in less than 3 days while there.  So from a creative juices standpoint it was a huge success.  Just incredibly bad financial timing....even in Bend.    So I learned some valuable lessons for this "default world", as Burning Man attendees like to put it.  And I keep a bumper sticker in a very prominent place, which says:  "What could possibly go wrong?"

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#37 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

"The Hope still Lives, and the Dream shall Never Die!"    And so it goes.....and went.  Lost our shorts on that one.  But hands down, one of our best designs "The Swordsman" was created in less than 3 days while there.  So from a creative juices standpoint it was a huge success.  Just incredibly bad financial timing....even in Bend.    So I learned some valuable lessons for this "default world", as Burning Man attendees like to put it.  And I keep a bumper sticker in a very prominent place, which says:  "What could possibly go wrong?"

No matter what, you did it, and as I said before...I thought it was a great idea. Had it been down in my neck of the woods (for lack of a better analogy) it would have most likely been widely successful, even in the downturn. I'm sure you learned a great deal from it, and anything any of us learn we should be thankful for.

Are you still living there?

I guess I had similar learning experiences with the log home, and it gave me a great deal of appreciation for log home builders. It's one thing to add a window, stain the outside, or build some stairs...building a home from raw logs is NOT simple. I tried to play it smart and wait out my bad luck with work, now will see if I can salvage it and make it a reality. I was down at the yard this past weekend, fired up the lift (after a few trips to the auto parts store to get the battery charged, etc...), and the chainsaws are fired up and working, as is the sawmill...but I still have quite a bit of work cut out for me. Luckily my wife bears with me through my wild dreams, but after 29 years I can say she's one of the sweetest people I've ever met. I still want to show her that I can pull this off.

If I was to do this over I would go timberframe, but short of doing it over, I have what I have.

It's time to make some sawdust again...

#38 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

Hello all!!!!!! Life is full of surprises.........Susan, sorry to hear about your house......I thought you would be a canning, chicken slaughtering fool by now......hope this changes for you soon. Bill, you are in denial and anyone else that thinks it is coming back.......the middle class (log home customer base) has been hurt badly and most that I know are afraid to do anything as they may not have a job next week. Everyone here has friends that have suffered and continue to suffer.....and it will get worse.....unless you think slinging burgers part time at Donalds or working part time at Walmart is a life???? Or how about two low paying degrading jobs? Alan, be cautious my friend. US of A makes very little anymore.......it is just a resource base for countries that do manufacture.........the coal industry here is as dead as 4 o'clock......India and China do not want your dirty coal anymore. The new TPP ageement will just about be it for America.......at least the vast majority.......The criminals who wrote the agreement will be just fine..thank you very much.

This is not meant to be depressing......it is merely a wake up call...we have to shift our thinking to the new reality......with every piece of bling bought from Walmart.......one of your neighbors is paying the price for your low price with a job loss.

Peace,

Tim 

I just read an article a couple days ago that 51% of the working population works for under 31K a year.  Middle class is decimated.

On Coal, yes I know Walter Energy went from about $15 a share to .16 in about a little over a year and now they are in bankruptcy (hard to believe they were $136 in 2010).  TPP will be worse then the Columbian Free Trade Agreement that the president signed in for (you know the one where they forced relocated thousands of people and farmers, committing genocide, decapitation and limb removal with chainsaws...this is truth).

Speaking of the 3rd world department store (Walmart), I was in the super duper store getting groceries the other day and they tried to get me $1.29lb for buttercup squash.  I went to the other local supermarket that gets some of their produce locally and got better squash for .59 a lb.  So maybe there is hope for local small farmers again.

• Glenn Molenaar likes this

#39 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

The only time I go to Wal-Mart is when I need to buy plastic from China.  That's about it.  Wife goes there once in a while, but I figure the Walton family has enough money and its sad to see all those old folks as greeters and pushing shopping carts from the parking lot.  (I actually entertained the idea of applying for a job there during the GR....<sigh>).   I gladly pay whatever the local produce stand asks when I do stop in.  I wish I stopped in more often.

So did an experiment to the trick-or-treaters last night......    Offered them candy (first) or a dollar coin (you know the brassy President coins that are about the size of a quarter.  What's that all about?).  About 70% opted for the dollar.  Parents out on the street whooped it up when the kid made the right decision.  I always reply, "Merry Christmas...your parents thank you, your dentist thanks you....now go put that in your college fund (while I'm thinking, So you can get a better job and pay into my SS...heh, heh").

• Alan DuBoff and adze like this

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#40 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Remember when Walmart sold everything made in the USA?  They used to have isles of merchandise.  My wife commented that they used to have several Isles of curtains.  Now they just have a few curtains.  They are not alone either.  Homedepot even recently used to have "sample boards".  We could grab a sample board of a particular tile etc. that we were interested in, and take it home to color cordinate etc.

No more.    They did away with them.  You have to order the sample online now.

Since 2008, none of these places really stock or warehouse anything.  Its all going online (and you hope you get it in one piece).

I had to special order a garage door jam / gasket, last week because they only carried white in the store, no brown.

Fasterners the same way.  They only stock which nails sell the most, so if your looking for a 5D box nail,  or a .99  ringed coil nail, you might not be able to get them.

Its good for some of the old fashioned local lumber yards (which I shop at a lot as well), but we are losing our old time hardware stores.  Sad.

I still remember about 20 years ago or so, I happened to stop in this little genral store (large shed really) in a small Maine town, in the middle of no where.  The place was packed full of stuff.  There was an old barrel on the floor, loaded with all kinds of wooden tool handles.  I just happened to need a new axe handle. And there she was.  It was marked $3 and change, so I asked the old fella if it was mis-marked, because it seemed really cheap.  He said it had been there for quite a few years, and he did not pay much for it.  :)  Those days are gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users