• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

So what would you think if I did that?  Do my best to move all the old threads, articles, info, etc. to FB?

• Susan likes this

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#2 Jim Morvay

Jim Morvay

"Finally!"

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

Understand why you might be considering this, but you'd lose me since I do not participate in any social media sites.

• Glenn Molenaar likes this

#3 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:28 AM

Can't have that, Jim.  You are the 6th highest count in posts....soon to move into 5th place.  We recently lost Schroeder's as our main advertiser and am looking for a new one.  Was just thinking of ways to attract more folks.  FB seems to be the hot place these days.  Just sayin'....

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#4 Susan

Susan

Caffeine Connoisseur

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

I don't see much different from so called "social media sights" and a public internet forum Jim. Open a facebook account (same as you did here) set your profile to private, follow LHOTI, that's it.  I understand some folks have a concern about privacy on Facebook but, let's face it, if you are on the web there will always be someone out there who can see you  - even the Admin Grand Poobah here on lhoti can find out your IP, email, etc.

Greg, both facebook and lhoti.com work for me.

~Susan

#5 Susan

Susan

Caffeine Connoisseur

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:42 PM

Greg, I'd also like to point out:  you started this thread on April 4th. It took two days for Jim to reply and 9 days for me to reply and no one else has even bothered to respond. 88 views and 3 replies in over a week.  I doubt seriously that you would have to wait that long for a response on FB.

~Susan

#6 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:49 AM

Susan, et al.,

The amount of viewers on Lhoti.com has fallen way off since the good old days....but so has interest in Log Homes.  I would probably get more if I advertised with Google but even the magazines have gotten smaller in coverage and subscribers.  I spend an inordinate amount of time on FB and thought:  Well maybe Lhoti should be there since it is free.  I does cost some money to keep this website up (granted it needs a thorough house cleaning).  So I need to find a major advertiser.

On a good note....got two potential drafting jobs today (stick frame).  That's always good.

• Techmonkey, Susan and Glenn Molenaar like this

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#7 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:09 AM

Personally there are a lot of things I don't like about FB, but for better or worse there are a lot of people that use it. Search for products in your browser and the next think you know those products show up on FB as ads. After a while you start to stalk yourself. LOL

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If it's just users, FB might foster some, but why would you think that FB would do anything for LHOTI that it hasn't had the opportunity to do itself?

There is some irony here as a few years ago Greg was saying how much he despised FB, so hearing him think about moving LHOTI to FB just seems like irony at it's best.

I've been playing this online game before many people. All I can say is that FB is no different than any other popular media. At one time CompuServe was king, and before that The Source. There are a lot of popular forums that run vbulletin, phpBBS, and the likes...they are successful because of the time and energy the people put into it that maintain those sites.

As long as you don't think that FB will magically make LHOTI the new hotspot if you don't put anything into it, there is probably nothing wrong with having a presence on FB.

The housing crisis took a toll on the log home industry, but there are builders that are still out there. Granted not that many, but some still do exist.

Success awaits those who are creative.

#8 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

Susan, et al.,

The amount of viewers on Lhoti.com has fallen way off since the good old days....but so has interest in Log Homes.  I would probably get more if I advertised with Google but even the magazines have gotten smaller in coverage and subscribers.  I spend an inordinate amount of time on FB and thought:  Well maybe Lhoti should be there since it is free.  I does cost some money to keep this website up (granted it needs a thorough house cleaning).  So I need to find a major advertiser.

On a good note....got two potential drafting jobs today (stick frame).  That's always good.

Yes, I agree, because the magazines are as much to blame as the downturn. I really hope Log Home Living is sucking, because they are as much to blame as anyone else in the industry. I think they over inflate their reader base in order to sell ads. You can't just keep doing that and not hurt those who place the ads. I haven't bought one of their magazines in years. I do occasionally buy Cabin Living, and I follow them on FB.

BTW, I will add that I think a lot of the LHOTI's downturn is due to how you dealt with the user base. The inet was intended to be free, as in freedom of speech, and there were times when you ran LHOTI too much to your liking. That only works for so long. It's hard to be a moderator and allow people the freedom to say what they want and how they want to express it. OTOH, it's your site and you can do as you please. My time is valuable to me, so I'm selective on where I spend it.

#9 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:52 AM

Whats facebook?

But seriously, Noah Bradleys handmade houses went facebook and he has over 78K followers.

#10 Glenn Molenaar

Glenn Molenaar

"Ye Ol' Porch Monkey"

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

Greg,

It is impossible to please everyone. I think you have done a great job the log home market is as you know down. It hurts to see good sites loose followers, but people are people. I check LHOTI daily been waiting to see some support for LHOTI, the real log people seem to died off.

As you know loghomereports.com shut down it hurt but everyday all the posters  seemed to be spam no new log owners posting. I spent more time banning and deleting posts, it was a losing battle. 

Good luck in what ever way you go.

Glenn

#11 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

I'm just whining.....  since we lost Schroeder's I have no financial support for the site.  And believe it or not it does require some IT maintenance beyond my feeble abilities + hosting costs.  So I need to look for a sponsor or two.  And naturally they ask, "What's the activity?"  It's not good to point at the number of posts/visits that are so low compared to days past.  So I need to get activity up. 

We do have a presence on FB https://www.facebook...63160973787334/

And one on Log Rhythms, Inc https://www.facebook...878143/?fref=ts

Check them out, post something if you like.

:)

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#12 GordonMcAlister

GordonMcAlister

Your manager and agent are both busy on the phone

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

Me bad, I've been so busy working on the Vermont home that I hadn't had time to reply to this thread. While I do, do a drive-by hit and run to LHotI every so often (maybe once a week) and I scan for any new posts, I don't login unless I have something to share. That is not to say LHoI isn't and hasn't been an important part of my online life. It is and I would feel a real loss without it. I have had some great conversations and learned so much from the other members, and from you Greg, that has really been a God send to helping me reach my Log Home dream (Thank you all!). That being said, I have to admit I spend much more time logging into Facebook and posting a few times a day and interacting with my friends and family. One thing I've encountered between LHotI and Facebook was the difficulty and/or restrictions of posting many, many pictures to LHotI as opposed to an unlimited amount of picture posting I do on Facebook. Maybe it's me and I'm not doing it right on LHotI, maybe it's because of the size of the available HD space and I can fully understand HD space is at a premium and is expensive on any website server (I know it is on my site Ottersrun.com). I'm sure I would be much more active with LHotI on Facebook then I am to the dedicated website, basically because I'm on Facebook so much more. I saw your link to your Facebook page and "liked" your page but it doesn't appear you've set it up as a "Group" private or public to join, that would be in my Facebook feed, such as "Home Theater on a Budget" or "MGB Appreciation Society" just 2 of the 21 groups I've joined and post in everyday. If your Facebook presence was a group I would surely join, but I do understand being an administrator of a group does consume time and it may not be something you would want to do at this time. In the meantime I would love to post some pictures of our completed Kitchen cabinets I built for the Log home and pictures of my progress on finishing up the Master Suite for other LHotI members to see (you may have seen some of these as a "friend" on my Facebook page). I noticed you have a post on the Facebook page that "updates are coming", is it OK to start posting now to your page? Also it would be easy to share from my page to your page previous updates, videos and photos of our progress to date for other members to see. Let me know and I'll get active. Many thanks in advance and thank you for continuing LHotI. As always Best Regards Gordon :)

The path I tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.
The Ravens all are closing in, under covers here I hide.
Please wake me! (PF)

www.ottersrun.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users