• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 klelmore

klelmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:29 AM

A short note, as it's been a very long time since I posted anything here (or anywhere else) about log homes. Our is fine, in case anyone is wondering

We've been in the house 10 years, now. We originally stained with TWP 500 series and the first treatment lasted about 3 years on the upper floor. The lower floor is under a wrap-around porch and so gets no weather and only indirect sunlight. We refinished the upper floor after about 4 years. The upper floor looked darker than the lower floor for a month or so, but evened out pretty quickly (we use a rather dark color, Rustic Oak, so a 516 stain).

This time, we left the upper floor for about 6 years and the stain had pretty much failed; some mildew had started in a few places on the south-facing wall, which is full-log. The west wall (white cedar siding) had suffered some golf-ball sized hail driven by a 30-40 MPH west wind a couple of years ago. The siding was fine, but the finish suffered some light spots where the hail hit. What direct sun hadn't pretty much wiped out suffered some fading due to UV exposure.  

I applied Log Wash the power washed it off with about 600 PSI at about 18" or so. This took off almost all the old stain on the upper floor and removed quite a bit form the lower floor, too. We had not washed the house in about 4 years, so it was quite dirty.

I found that the TWP 500 series has been replaced by the 1500 series, so I went for that. With daytime highs in the mid 60's here (central Oklahoma) application was as easy as the 500 series had been (I have a spray rig), though the 1500 series is just a bit more viscous. The stuff soaks in just as the 500 series did, and I did wet-on-wet on all of the upper floor. It wasn't necessary on the lower floor, so that was almost exclusively a single pass. 

The 1500 series has a higher solids content, so I'm hoping it lasts a bit longer. I've gotten older far faster than the house has and this was not quite as much fun as I remember it being...

The finish is still "curing" and that's fine by me! It's perfect weather for this and it will stay dry for the foreseeable future, so conditions couldn't be better. 

I noticed the lower VOC with the 1500 series stain: things didn't smell quite as bad in the house for as long this time around. Clean up is easy and the color remains perfect. We still need to do all the cedar posts that hold up the wrap-around porch roof, but the place looks great! I'll post some pictures tomorrow. 

I want to make a shout out to Jon Fife who generously gave me lots of hints about refinishing these many years ago. Everything he told me has always been spot on and is as useful today as it was the first time 'round. Thanks, Jon!

Kim Elmore

#2 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

I've gotten older far faster than the house has

Boy, ain't that the truth.  At 70, I've noticed NOTHING heals as fast.  Sore muscles, achy joints, head bonks.......sheesh.   I look at young people (anyone under 60) and think...you have no idea.  The only think that has improved is my ability to whine.

• klelmore likes this

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#3 klelmore

klelmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

Here's a picture!

The TWP1516 was applied with a high-pressure, airless sprayer using a 0.017" orifice and no back brushing. With the airless sprayer, I found that there's simply no pint in back brushing. I tried back brushing the first time (same sprayer) and quickly learned that with an airless system the stain is forced into the wood just as well as using a garden-type sprayer and back brushing.

The posts supporting the wrap-around porch are native Oklahoma Eastern Red Cedar. It's a pest species here due to decades-long fire suppression; with the fire suppression efforts, they get large enough to damage the wooded areas due to their intense water use.  In the past, prairie fires prevented them from getting very large since they burn spectacularly. Lots of native animal species don't use them for cover, so they tend to affect native animals negatively, too. Even so, it's very tough wood. The white/ivory color is the sap wood, which is very dense and quite tight and smooth, so it honestly doesn't take stain particularly well. But, we stain them, anyway. They are a bit of a pain to stain: spraying them is wasteful and brushing them takes forever while being messy. This time, I'll try spraying at a low pressure so that the over spray is very small. This will undoubtedly result in an uneven spray pattern, so I'll then brush out the irregularities. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Nov_2016_restaining_TWP1516_small.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users