Schroeder Log Homes

Photo
- - - - -

Sad Day...Feb. 2, 2017...B.Allan Mackie passed...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

I was sorry to get a response from Nadina Mackie Jackson, B.Allan Mackie's daughter...just a day or two before I got an email from Tim Bullock that said B.Allan Mackie had been hospitalized and his daughter was requesting letters to lift his spirit.

I got a response from Nadina that he had passed on February 2, 2017.

To say B.Allan Mackie had an impact on the log home industry would be an understatement at a magnificent magnitude. He really did change the way log homes had been built, and prior to his books, log homes never took on a modern architecture.

I believe that B.Allan Mackie changed the way people viewed and looked at Log Structures in the same way that Frank Lloyd Wright had a similar impact with cement. Prior to FLW's work, people never cantilevered cement how they do now, and much of that goes to FLW's designs.

B.Allan Mackie had the same impact on log builders worldwide. Log structures have never been the same since B.Allan Mackie entered the scene.

R.I.P. B.Allan Mackie, you will long be missed by many. You had an impact like no other log home builder, EVER! You are a true legend! I don't think I will ever forget you or your writings! ;)

Regards,

Alan

• lisa likes this

#2 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

Alan,

A sad day indeed but in some ways his legacy lives on through the souls of all log builders everywhere.

Penny called me with the sad news as I was working on a dovetail log home and the dirty, noisy, nasty chainsaw work was done and it was time to clean up the notch with my chisel and handplane.....what a delight as I pushed my newly sharpened chisel though the wood fibers thinking reverant thoughts about B. Allan.

I met him many years ago at a log building conference at Chateau Montebello.....He was invited by the ILBA to speak and he did......a fiery speech railing against the ILBA for even suggesting that there should be log building standards with enforcement and he encouraged people to build their own log homes and not get into the debt cycle by borrowing......he did and he felt others could too.

He is/was a nice man and I feel that my life is enriched by knowing him as he changed my lifes' direction with his book Building with Logs.

RIP B. Allan Mackie

#3 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

A sad day indeed but in some ways his legacy lives on through the souls of all log builders everywhere.

He will live on for a long long time...his books will continue to enlighten people. Where there are more people than ever preaching the mortgage-free living, it will always be Mackie that I hear as it was his mantra longer than any. I wish I would have read his books when I was 18 years old...I probably would have become a log builder...

Penny called me with the sad news as I was working on a dovetail log home and the dirty, noisy, nasty chainsaw work was done and it was time to clean up the notch with my chisel and handplane.....what a delight as I pushed my newly sharpened chisel though the wood fibers thinking reverant thoughts about B. Allan.

There is a zen about handtools, heh? I like that place and need to go there more myself. I think I've been getting too much iron in my diet and might need more fiber! LOL

I met him many years ago at a log building conference at Chateau Montebello.....He was invited by the ILBA to speak and he did......a fiery speech railing against the ILBA for even suggesting that there should be log building standards with enforcement and he encouraged people to build their own log homes and not get into the debt cycle by borrowing......he did and he felt others could too.

That's the B.Allan Mackie we all know and love...I'm gonna try to take his advice... :)

He is/was a nice man and I feel that my life is enriched by knowing him as he changed my lifes' direction with his book Building with Logs.

RIP B. Allan Mackie

I wish I could have met him, but it was not meant to be. I can still keep him in my heart with me. :)

#4 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

Wow.  Chapter, book and verse.  I would venture to say if it were not for B. Allan, there would be NO log building in North America....at least none on the scale and imprint there is today and the last 50 years (even tho' its mighty small compared to everything else).  he can rightfully be called the Father of Scribed fit Log Homes.  It is a sad thing but I see the art form dying all around me.  There are no young (30 somethings) picking up the industry and leading.  In Central Oregon the old guard, some 7 or 8 companies are retiring/folding or doing something else.

You could pick up cranes, tools, log yards, loaders, even logs and timbers and a few customers....really cheap.  The demand is gone down 80% since the turn of century.  Time to read a good book by the fire and gaze out at the ocean.

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#5 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

Greg,

YES, B. Allan was definitely the godfather of modern day log building......My dear friend Eric Wiebe and I were commiserating the other day......He had read an article in the Toronto Star in 1976 with an interview with Allan B........"don't call them cabins" He was adament.....It is housing!!!!!

At the same time in 1976, I was living in New Westminster, BC and went to the library and took out Building with Logs, first edition........changed my life and I have never looked back.

Eric and I have been best friends forever due to the influence of B. Allan and I thank him for that.

I live and breathe this life and thankfully I am physically doing it again and I love it......Trust me......the owner builder will be back as the economy changes.....

We are bidding on a hybrid tframe straw bale house.....we may get it or may not but the exercise has been fun.

Thank goodness I never became a "Purple Shirt" courtesy of Mary Mackies writings about Allan......go to his website.

Thankful,

Tim

#6 adze

adze

Wood Chipper

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:31 AM

Wow.  :(

#7 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

Thank goodness I never became a "Purple Shirt" courtesy of Mary Mackies writings about Allan......go to his website.

Went there and read about it, quite a long article she wrote back in '75...first thing I thought about was the "Purple Shirts" all around you shipping off timber to China for veneers and blowing the crap out of the mountains at the expense of the people...

I guess the Purple Shirts have been around since dirt was created...LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users