• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Many years ago we helped Cindy Thiede and Heather Pederson put together a wonderful coffee table book called "The Log Home Plan Book".  We worked really hard on it...re-drew all the plans so they would have a consistency throughout the book and got to include our plan The Willamette.  It was a success.  In fact, it was a smashing success. We have sold that plan 4 times.  I just got word today from some new best friends, "Who do we make the check out to?"

God bless Cindy and Heather where ever you are!

(and if you click on the banner from NW Custom Log Homes above....that is the home)

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#2 lisa

lisa

First Patron

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:01 AM

Greg I loved her books and was a great collector of them as I was planning and building my home in 2002 - 2003.  Sadly Cindy Thiede died from cancer not long after I began reading her works.   

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

#3 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

Many years ago we helped Cindy Thiede and Heather Pederson put together a wonderful coffee table book called "The Log Home Plan Book".  We worked really hard on it...re-drew all the plans so they would have a consistency throughout the book and got to include our plan The Willamette.  It was a success.  In fact, it was a smashing success. We have sold that plan 4 times.  I just got word today from some new best friends, "Who do we make the check out to?"

God bless Cindy and Heather where ever you are!

(and if you click on the banner from NW Custom Log Homes above....that is the home)

Greg I loved her books and was a great collector of them as I was planning and building my home in 2002 - 2003.  Sadly Cindy Thiede died from cancer not long after I began reading her works.   

I don't come by here too much as it's not very active, but thanks for getting me to pull out my copy of Cindy's book. Not long ago I was commenting about Cindy's books and how I miss her. I have a number of them. My favorite is "Hands-On Log Homes", it has always been my favorite, and the one I consider her best book. To Cindy's credit, she was often able to get Roger Wade to provide photos for her books, and that helped a lot cause her books have some of the all time best photos of log homes, hands down.

I think the way the article is laid out is what could have helped you. Of course the title of the home, "Designed with a View" and that big grass spread outside the huge wall of windows in the great room is a gorgeous picture. The one thing I've always liked about that house is how there's a 2nd door off to the side of the Porte Corchere, those cutesy gables are what people like, IMO, I know I do. Also, those character logs in the entry and the one log in the loft on the 2nd and 3rd pages add a nice touch.

Would like to hear your comments on why you think the home is attractive to so many people. The design is nothing special and very common in that era of log homes where the designers put a wing on each side of the great room, yet the home works very well with the wonderful entry and even nicer deck in the rear, so don't mean to down play your design. It's a big house, almost 3500 sq.ft.

That book does have some cool homes in it, it also has Gideon's Cabin, what I consider Tim's most famous home, but it's also in a couple other books of Cindy's, including great pics in Hands-On Log Homes.

How come you don't post more Greg?

Hi Lisa! ;)

Alan

#4 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

Hi Alan,

1.  The Willamette went thru 27 revisions (in the original design)around a laundry chute....on the 28th it was gone.  heh.

2.  In Central Oregon, the mudroom/laundry is really important.  Usually there is a dog bath in there too.  The traffic flow from outbuildings into the house is key.  Groceries to pantry, sometimes a half bath just inside and to the left of the back door...really convenient.

3.  Kitchen layout is great for outside covered entertainment.

4.  My fav part is the split purlins in the upstairs bedrooms (I'll see if I can attach that sheet).

5.  It is just a winner on all counts for a big house.

Why don't I post more?  I'd be talking to myself, I suppose.  Not much interest anymore.

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#5 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

Hi Alan,

1.  The Willamette went thru 27 revisions (in the original design)around a laundry chute....on the 28th it was gone.  heh.

2.  In Central Oregon, the mudroom/laundry is really important.  Usually there is a dog bath in there too.  The traffic flow from outbuildings into the house is key.  Groceries to pantry, sometimes a half bath just inside and to the left of the back door...really convenient.

3.  Kitchen layout is great for outside covered entertainment.

4.  My fav part is the split purlins in the upstairs bedrooms (I'll see if I can attach that sheet).

5.  It is just a winner on all counts for a big house.

Why don't I post more?  I'd be talking to myself, I suppose.  Not much interest anymore.

Wow, 27 revisions and then you removed the chute! Kind of reminds me of the first design that Tim had done for me...how I wish I could have built that home, it was really a cool design. There was a secret passage in the home which went from the basement to the 3rd floor lookout, and we kept trying to keep it in the design, but finally had to pull it as it kept getting in the way...

I'm still pecking away at the home I'm building, just taking me time to sort out the legalities and such, damn, building is complicated. And especially in CA with the earthquakes and fires.

Looking back with hindsight, I think I would have done it differently...but it's the foresight that was needed, foresight is harder to come by...LOL

Yeah, I lived in Oregon for a year or two when I was younger, it sure does rain...just like drizzling every day in the winter...it sucks...:) Gotta take care of the dogs though...for certain.

RE: talking to yourself

I think you have it wrong, it's when you don't post that you will be talking to yourself. If you post they will come. There's some good stuff on YouTube these days. If you haven't checked out Mr. Chickadee, do yourself a favor. He teaches dovetail and timberframe workshops it seems. Makes some really cool stuff.

#6 lisa

lisa

First Patron

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Hi Alan and Greg!

Today I was using some of my log home books to weigh down some screen wire ( I am redoing a screen door) and I happened upon several books by Robbin Obamsawin.  I have several of her books and really enjoy them as well.  The information says she was the construction manager for Beaver Creek Log Home in upstate NY.  I did quick google search and did not find that business. I wonder if they are still in business?  So many are gone.  The photos in her books are unique and beautiful. 

Log Homes are not very common in Arkansas so when I hear about one I am always interested in seeing it.  The guys that clean my windows just recently told me about one to the West of mine about 20 miles that is over 8000 square feet with very big logs and sits in the middle of a hundred acres. WOW!  I am begging them to let me become part of their crew for the day the next time they go clean the windows.  It's owned by a Pharmacist.  I'll post some photos if I get inside. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you & all the members of LHOTI!

Lisa Bridges

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

#7 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

Looking forward to those photos, Lisa!

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com