• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lisa

lisa

First Patron

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Greg when I saw this YOU immediately came to mind!

I love this roof with steam bent shingles and all the rock work. scroll down toward the bottom.

http://www.customshi...ottage-gallery/

I bet is would cost a fortune!

Here is a link to the company who did the shingles - Wow I cannot stop drooling......

I wonder what a roof like these would cost?

http://www.customshingles.com/

Lisa
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

#2 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Greg when I saw this YOU immediately came to mind!

I love this roof with steam bent shingles and all the rock work. scroll down toward the bottom.

http://www.customshi...ottage-gallery/

I bet is would cost a fortune!

Here is a link to the company who did the shingles - Wow I cannot stop drooling......

I wonder what a roof like these would cost?

http://www.customshingles.com/

Lisa

They have a Hobbit House roof! That is one cool roof! :)

http://www.customshi...m/hobbit-house/

Speaking of which, how's that Shire home doing Greg? What happened with the property for all those lots? Seems your home was the last one lived in...I think it was an amazing idea, and think it would have done well in the Santa Cruz Mountains somewhere...that was a noble effort that that project, tip of the hat to 'ya on that one Greg! ;)

#3 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

Those are some over-the-top roofs alright!  Prices is roughly 6x asphalt comp roof according to their website + or -.

Well I'm taking a walking tour of the Shire on Dec. 26th or 27 with the original developer.  Stay tuned.  Pictures to follow.  The original phase is pretty much built out but big contrast between the $300 per sq. ft. homes (3 of them) and the $175 per sq. ft. homes.  The "pit" is still empty and waiting for townhomes as is Phase II but rumor has it they are trying to do "tiny homes" on that acreage.

Yes it was quite an effort.  Just rotten timing and the 2008 Great Recession killed it from what it could have become.

Imagine the Swordsman (look at the image lower in the thread) with one of those bent cedar shingle roofs?

"The Hope still lives and the Dream shall never Die"

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

Here is my temporary email:  stecklergreg@gmail.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

"Only Nixon could go to China" ~ Mr. Spock

#4 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Those are some over-the-top roofs alright!  Prices is roughly 6x asphalt comp roof according to their website + or -.

Well I'm taking a walking tour of the Shire on Dec. 26th or 27 with the original developer.  Stay tuned.  Pictures to follow.  The original phase is pretty much built out but big contrast between the $300 per sq. ft. homes (3 of them) and the $175 per sq. ft. homes.  The "pit" is still empty and waiting for townhomes as is Phase II but rumor has it they are trying to do "tiny homes" on that acreage.

Yes it was quite an effort.  Just rotten timing and the 2008 Great Recession killed it from what it could have become.

Imagine the Swordsman (look at the image lower in the thread) with one of those bent cedar shingle roofs?

"The Hope still lives and the Dream shall never Die"

Greg,

Haven't been around in a while, but what's happening with this?

That's cool, I hope you've revived it. I've always thought it was a good idea, and too bad you couldn't have done it down in the Bay area.

#5 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

I don't know why, but got 2 messages...I'll just add in this one...

No matter what the other homes look like at $175/sq.ft., that ain't gonna change your house one bit. We all gotta look out for number 1, doncha know? ;)

What happened to the other homes, weren't there 2 or 3 built? Didn't a guy have one called the Butterfly?

As long as people would move in, the rest of the shire would start taking place...IMO

Alan

#6 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

I'm about done with Bend...think I'll go RVing for awhile.  Or maybe move in to my sisters place....

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#7 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

I'm about done with Bend...think I'll go RVing for awhile.  Or maybe move in to my sisters place....

Greg,

I know the feeling...I'm pretty fed up with things where I am also...I think I'm gonna have to bow out on the RVing, my wife hates traveling in cars and planes...oh, boats, basically anything that moves...I'm still holding out for the lake.

Engineer is working on the environmental and I gotta the building permit before I can do anything...had the building area cleared a year ago, hoping to get a permit soon...it's a struggle, when I go to my property about once a year it seems it reminds me why I won't let go of my dreams.

I'm like the tortoise, but one day the finish line could be near...and OTOH, the end could be near also, we never know... :P

Stay healthy.

Alan

#8 Greg Steckler

Greg Steckler

Grand Poobah (webmaster)

• Administrators
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

Indeed...stay healthy!  We are getting ready to sell our house in Bend.  Moved the baby grand and treadmill yesterday...thanks to a piano moving company!  Most of our big stuff is moved.... now comes the long-arm quilting machine and wife's fabrics....then the computers and office stuff.  Sheesh....I'll be glad when its over.   We furnished most of my older daughters new AirBnB....two units of a duplex.  All I want to do these days is do a few laps in a pool in CR....get out...walk on the beach....swing in a hammock...and read a good book or 12.  Did you check out my sisters place above?  It's spectacular!

Greg Steckler
Webmaster at
Lhoti.com

2253 NE Edgewater Dr.
Bend OR 97701
541-389-4887
Designer
Log Rhythms, Inc.

#9 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

Indeed...stay healthy!  We are getting ready to sell our house in Bend.  Moved the baby grand and treadmill yesterday...thanks to a piano moving company!  Most of our big stuff is moved.... now comes the long-arm quilting machine and wife's fabrics....then the computers and office stuff.  Sheesh....I'll be glad when its over.   We furnished most of my older daughters new AirBnB....two units of a duplex.  All I want to do these days is do a few laps in a pool in CR....get out...walk on the beach....swing in a hammock...and read a good book or 12.  Did you check out my sisters place above?  It's spectacular!

Greg,

I hear you on the piano...I'm not sure what I will do with ours. It really belongs to my wife, she's the classically trained pianist...but my daughter played for about 5 years, not sure if she will take it back up as she gets older. Music has a way of returning into our lives. I have always dreamed that one day the family would be getting together at the lake for the holidays, we all get out our instruments and start playing as we look out over the lake...but not sure that will happen...I still hold out for my dream...I would be content with an acoustic guitar sitting on the porch picking some tunes...We have a 6'2" Kawai, just had it tuned up and the tuner commented what nice shape it's in and how well it stayed in tune, as we haven't tuned it in close to 10 years.  :o

I'm gonna need to finish getting the house up and on a foundation if I intend to do that...talked to the Chief Planner at the County yesterday...small world, she has known one of my daughter's roommate at Cal Poly SLO, where both of them will be graduating...probably can't hurt to have friends at the County office as I prepare my build...especially since she's the person who approves the plans for the permits... ;)

Structural engineering has been updated to 2016 building codes. They're working on the electrical plan, and another guy is working on the sprinkler plan. All that should get me my permit...I *HOPE*...

Sorry to hear you're selling your house, I know how much you loved it. I'm sure you still do... :(

Cheers,

Alan

#10 Alan DuBoff

Alan DuBoff

Maestro

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

Did you check out my sisters place above?  It's spectacular!

I just looked again, but don't completely understand if you're developing that or if it's somewhere you now live?

Is that where you're moving to?

Cheers,

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users