• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Merk

Merk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:53 PM

Will the installation of a 6" vent, allowing outside air increase the efficiency of a modified rumford masonry fireplace? My question would pertain to upstate NY temps, like today with high of 10f above zero. When the mason built the fireplace he suggested we try it without for our first winter. So far, in very cold temps, say zero and below, the hotter the fire burns, the colder temp becomes in the loft because the fireplace uses up all the warm air in the great room, which is supplied by infloor radiant heat. Any comments from experienced users in cold climates?
Merk

#2 BradBradstreet

BradBradstreet

3rd Patron & "King Post"

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:29 AM

Merk, I am not an engineer. But, it seems the basics here are - have less heated air going up the chimney then is being added to the room. Seems like a simple concept.

One approach is to have glass doors closed and burn outside air. But, the amount of heated air generated in the room is greatly reduced by the glass doors blocking the heat.

Or

Open the glass doors and get the fire roaring. This is what our fore-fathers did with okay results. I am going to look into using the fireplace with the screen doors open and a free standing screen to allow more heated air into the room. With the screen doors open the fire generates a LOT of heat.

#3 Tim Bullock

Tim Bullock

Postus Mostus

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 12:34 AM

Merk, I do not have my standards book here at home.......there is a formula for the size of the air intake based on the opening size..........Greg would have it!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users